Rescue Boat Operator
The aim of this course is to help develop the skills and knowledge of course candidates to safely and effectively drive an Inflatable Rescue Boat (IRB). Candidates will also develop knowledge and skills to enable them to demonstrate competence in the nationally recognised unit(s) of competency.
Rescue Boat Operator – Course Content
- List the duties of an IRB Driver
- List the safety considerations when operating an IRB
- Provide direction and communicate effectively with an IRB Crewperson in all their operational duties
- Launch an IRB safely and efficiently
- Safely and efficiently negotiate the surf while driving an IRB
- Perform emergency procedures
- Perform conscious, unconscious patient pick-ups and complex rescue operations including swimming rescues, sailboarder and kite surfer rescues
- Contribute to search and rescue operations; liaising effectively with other emergency response services as required
- Identify the components of an IRB motor
- Perform pre and post operational checks and preventative maintenance of the IRB motor
- Perform motor re-start procedure after immersion in the surf
- Report major wear or damage according to organisational procedures.